Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Guidance



Last, post I shared two preliminary studies. I began painting the picture and then had a mentoring session with Michael Newberry. In our session, Michael suggested I work to create a much deeper sense of space in the painting and do a pastel abstractly representing the spatial qualities of the figure. In trying to fulfill his directives, I managed to deviate 180 degrees from my original studies. I lost the values represented in the atmospheric study (posted on Aug 8) and I lost the color qualities, the blueness, when I did the pastel.


I am not showing the pastel but I have posted both pictures. First is the original painting. It follows the values of the atmospheric study. In the second, I created deep space but lost track of the intent of the study. When Michael pointed out that I had essentially ignored my preliminary work, I was upset with myself. How could I how be so dense?


However, something good usually comes from tribulation. On reflection, I think the second rendition is more mysterious. I like the glow around the figure. It feels mystical to me. If you wonder why the figure looks rough, it is because I worked only the background while trying to figure out deep space.

I am at decision point. I could go back to the original intent or I can go with the new. I am doing some thumbnails and another pastel focused on having globes go deep, deep in space. I believe that sometimes our mistakes are our best guidance. I am thinking that may be so in this case.

6 Comments:

At August 25, 2007 at 5:31 PM , Blogger Mary said...

I know what the feeling is like Sue as I have just been through going to dark and loosing my hierarchy of darks and drama in the grisaille but Michael will always find a solution and make so clear. I also love the mysticism or surreal feel in the second one.

 
At August 26, 2007 at 12:27 PM , Blogger Sue Johnson said...

Thanks Mary. It is affirming to hear that others also step off the path and have to struggle their way back. I am inclinced to the second picture as well because of the mystical feel.

 
At August 26, 2007 at 12:30 PM , Blogger Sue Johnson said...

Thanks Mary. It is helpful to hear that others also wander off the path and have to struggle their way back. I like the mystical feel of the second picture also and am more inclined, at this point, to continue with that version.

 
At August 26, 2007 at 12:39 PM , Blogger Sue Johnson said...

To everyone: Do others have this problem? You think your post didnt go through, make another, then have two and cannot figure out how to delete the second one. I would so appreciate tips on deleting an unintended repeat post.

 
At August 30, 2007 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Anita said...

You should be able to delete posts, Sue, hit the trash can symbol and it should go.

I really like the lower one of these - somehow the light blue gives an incredibly ethereal feel, and to me, more distance.

I constantly drift off the path so don't feel alone there - you'll probably meet me struggling in the undergrowth!

 
At August 30, 2007 at 5:14 PM , Blogger Sue Johnson said...

Thanks Anita. Its good to have company in the undergrowth. Im leaning towards the second painting as well. Thanks for your input.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home