Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Work in Progess



This small painting (11' x 14") represents a change in subject matter. For the past couple years, Ive primarily done paintings and drawings focused on the human figure. Lately, however, I've felt drawn to objects around my home that hold a special meaning in my daily life. Years ago when I was on the island of Crete, a lovely man gave me the beads to remind me of my time on the island. I hold them sometimes when I meditate. Other times, they simply serve to recall wonderful memories. I paired them with a bowl made by a dear friend and books that I especially love.


I've decided doing a small painting is at least as much work as doing a larger one. This one is especially challenging as Michael Newberry, my mentor, posed it as an investigation into color theory.

5 Comments:

At July 17, 2007 at 8:48 AM , Blogger Anita said...

Sue - Welcome to blogging! I think you will find it extremely supportive! Nice to see your work other than on Michael's student page.

 
At July 17, 2007 at 2:58 PM , Blogger Sue Johnson said...

Thanks Anita. I see you are a fellow aquarian. For some reason I dont often meet up with aquarians so I appreciate it when I do.

 
At July 18, 2007 at 4:48 AM , Blogger Mary said...

Sue, great strong colors in this. It is looking very good IMHO and I like the meaning behind it.

 
At July 18, 2007 at 5:52 PM , Blogger Sue Johnson said...

Thank you Mary. Im naive. What does IMHO mean. Its probably really obvious but Im not getting it.

 
At July 20, 2007 at 7:30 PM , Blogger Stacy said...

Hi Sue! Thank you for stopping by my blog. I've seen your work on Michael's student's page, but I liked learning more about you here. By the way, I am also a fellow aquarian, what an odd coincidence.

I hope I get to meet you in Sept. We haven't set any details and I realized last week that I have a show that Saturday, so I'm booked for Friday night and all of Sat, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out somehow.

Have fun with your blogging! I enjoy it, especially when I get to post more regularly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home